The Gold Standard for Advanced Nutrition Professionals
We are in a period of seismic transformation of human health, with nutrition at its epicenter. The message from the science is profound: nutrition is the single most powerful determinant of our health. Be at the forefront of this transformation. Become a Certified Nutrition Specialist®.
Certified Nutrition Specialists (CNSs) are advanced nutrition professionals. CNSs engage in science-based advanced medical nutrition therapy, research, education, and more, in settings such as clinics, private practice, hospitals and other institutions, industry, academia, and the community.
CNSs have fulfilled the most rigorous advanced-degree, education, experience, examination, and continuing education requirements.
The CNS certification is held by clinical nutritionists, physicians and other advance-degreed healthcare professionals with a specialty in nutrition. There are three distinct certification pathways:
- CNS for Nutrition and Health Professionals (CNS®) demonstrates competence as an advanced clinical nutrition professional.
- CNS for MDs and DOs (CNS®) demonstrates an advanced clinical nutrition specialty.
- CNS for Scholars (CNS-S℠) is for scholars, researchers, educators, product developers or scientists seeking distinction in the field of clinical or applied nutrition science.
Third Party Accreditation
The CNS certification is fully accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA)
- NCCA accreditation distinguishes the CNS for its robust and reliable process for development, implementation, maintenance and governance of the certification
Most Widely Recognized Certification by Federal and State Governments
- The only non-dietetics credential and examination widely named in state nutrition licensure laws
- Listed by the US Government's Department of Labor as an advanced nutrition credential in the definition of the "Dietetics and Nutritionists" profession in its Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Listed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid as among those potentially eligible to order therapeutic diets in hospitals
- BCNS's Center for Nutrition Advocacy® continues to fight for the rights of CNSs and other nutrition practitioners. Learn more.
Meet a Few Certified Nutrition Specialists